Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Shared tips on completing a research paper


This post is about sharing what i've been reading recently on completing a dissertation... which is slightly different than a thesis in terms that it's for PHD.
In any case writing a research paper involves almost the same challenges... and requires almost the same technical and sometimes psychological treatment for yourself and the paper both!
so this is for me as a reminder of what to put forth and focus on... and for anyone who might benefit.
Those below are tips by an expert's website that I got over at the SCAD writing center, they're sent via e-mail...
Enjoy ! 



completeyourdissertation.com


E-mails From: phd365@aweber.com 
On Behalf Of: "Dr. Rachna Jain" info@completeyourdissertation.com



1.       Journaling your way to dissertation success!



I'm here again with another helpful hint to completing your dissertation.

Today I'd like to talk about journaling.  Keeping a journal, diary, or blog can be a very helpful aspect of staying motivated during your dissertation process.  Though regular entries, you can trace your productive (and not so productive) days to discover what elements of your daily life best lend themselves to increased output.

In your journal, note the conditions of your progress in order to track trends.  For example, if you note that, on the days that you take the time to organize your working area, you write more pages, make an effort to clean your space more frequently.  If you notice that, on days that you check your email before writing, you tend to write fewer pages, limit yourself to 10 minutes of internet time AFTER you have worked on your dissertation for a pre-specified amount of time.

Making the focus of your journal successes of even the smallest kind ("I just couldn't focus today, but I still managed to write 3 pages" or "Today I couldn't seem to write anything, but I got 15 endnotes in tip top shape!") allows you to see the dissertation as a multitude and not a magnitude.
Too often, ABD's look at the dissertation process as one big chunk- and don't take the time to acknowledge their incremental progress to the finish line.
If you're feeling unmotivated, stuck, helpless, or could use a bit more appreciation for your progress, consider starting a dissertation success journal today. The more progress you notice, the more progress you'll make. Try it and see.
Thanks for reading!
--Rachna


2.       Measuring your dissertation progress


Today we have a tip from Tim Martin, a fellow dissertator.
Dr. Jain, 
My suggestion is to make the best use of time. I have a fellow learner that just expressed her concern over the delay in scheduling a conference call. I commented on how some of our dissertation schedule is dependent on the schedule of others (mentor, committee members, etc). However, use this as bonus time. When waiting for feedback (can be a couple of weeks) or the appointed time for a conference call, use the time to catch up on other items, such as double checking references, seeking out books or newsletters on dissertation or taking a much needed vacation. Remember to be flexible and adjust your schedule whenever possible.

Tim makes an excellent point!  Progress isn't necessarily measured in pages.  Instead, it can be measured in footnotes completed, new resources discovered, or a few days spent refreshing your mind and body.
Don't forget, if you have a helpful hint you'd like to share, email it to me and I will do my best to publish it.

Cheers,
--Rachna



20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879



3.       Self Guided Dissertation Library



I wanted to take a minute and make sure you knew about my self guided dissertation library. This is a resource I started several years ago, and which I update regularly. Basically, it is a site that contains more than 200 audios, videos, and worksheets covering many aspects of the dissertation process.

The site is a good option if you are interested in a self-guided approach to learning more about the process of doing the dissertation.

Here is what previous members have said:

Dr. Rachna D. Jain and The Secrets of Dissertation Success web site was just what I needed to get me focused on completing my dissertation within one year. After completing my coursework, I had a very hard time trying to balance family obligations and scheduling time to write my dissertation. I also had chosen a topic that was too big in scope, which eventually left me wondering if I even wanted to complete the degree. After two years of having the dissertation hanging over my head with no real progress, in January 2007 I joined the Secrets of Dissertation Success web site and renewed my commitment to complete the dissertation this year. This experience has made such a difference in not only my outlook but also in actual written progress. In the past 5 months I have started over with a new topic, completed and passed my written comprehensive and oral exam, and now have a completed prospectus. I now will be able to complete the dissertation this fall. I want to thank Dr. Jain for all of her wonderful advice. She was always willing to answer my questions, gave great advice, and also was genuinely proud of my accomplishments. I feel that she has become not only an "extra advisor" but also a friend. If you are looking for support and help in completing your dissertation, I highly recommend joining this site.
Renee Smith PhD candidate (Education) - University of Georgia

The site will give you a wide range of assistance in various areas. Content within the site can help you determine your topic, set up your research, manage your literature review, overcome procrastination, write more efficiently, revise more quickly, and prepare for your defense.

You can learn more by reading the letter at http://completeyourdissertation.info.

This is a great option if you want to get my advice and strategies in a focused and directed way, on your own time. 

Hope this helps,
Rachna



4.       Addressing and closing the "critical gap" between you and your dreams




Today I would like to discuss the "critical gap" between where you are and where you would like to be.  This "gap" is the space between where you are, and where you dream of being. The gap exists, most often, because there is a strong desire for something (the completion of your dissertation), combined with a weak belief that you will actually attain what you desire. So, stated another way, you really want something that you don't really think you're going to get.
Since you already believe the "getting" is going to be hard, tough, or, maybe even impossible, you don't take action to move through the gap. Over time, it becomes easier to wish and hope than it does to take action to get it.
For example, did you start this year with some New Year's Resolutions? (Many of us did). Are you still adhering to the things you resolved to do? (Many of us aren't.)  If not, this means that you've stopped moving through the gap, and have allowed yourself to believe that attaining what you want is not possible.
In my coaching work, we tend to focus a lot on changing the "inner landscape", which is made up of the thoughts and beliefs that guide your actions. Changing on the inside leads to a change on the outside- so it becomes easier to believe in your success, and, therefore, easier to achieve it.
If you want to complete your dissertation, get really clear on when you want it done, and to be very honest about what keeps you from completing it. (Hint: this rarely involves outside entities like time, space, or other people). If you have a goal that you're not meeting, it's usually because you've not fully committed to it. The first step to crossing the gap is to find, and commit to something you really want.
Now that you've found the "gap" and are ready to move through it: identify any beliefs or thoughts which are keeping you from taking action ("I'm not smart enough, qualified enough, attractive enough"), start working on shifting these belief systems (maybe by finding contradictory evidence- times that prove you are " ____ enough") and keep practicing this new way of thinking and believing. Pretty soon, you'll find that the space between where you are and what you want is getting smaller and smaller- and you will find that the distance between you and success is no bigger than a crack in the sidewalk.

Until next time,
--Rachna
 

5.     Do your friends and advisors cultivate your ideas?

Hi, Lobna- Dr. Jain, again.
Discussing your ideas is a key part of the dissertation project.  The importance of brainstorming with other individuals cannot be overlooked; however, it is absolutely necessary for you to watch who you talk to.

Be careful in sharing your dissertation process or progress with people who probably won't understand, and, worse, may make you feel badly about your project. 

There is value in sharing your work with individuals that are not part of the same academic discipline or know little about your specific topic, but it can also expose you to unnecessary (and possibly unfounded) criticism.

If you need to talk about your dissertation, be sure you do this in a safe place and with people you trust. If you forget this, you run the risk of having your ideas trashed and of feeling badly.

Take your ideas where they will be welcome and cultivated. This is how they will grow.
  
Talk to you soon!

--Rachna


Today's tip was taken from my book Get it Done which can be purchased at http://www.completeyourdissertation.com/go/books
 

20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879


6.       Accepting criticism and critique graciously



Because we talked recently about the importance of taking your ideas where they will be welcomed and cultivated, I figured that today would be a good day to talk about the importance of criticism and critique... and how to accept it graciously!
Receiving critiques can be very difficult because your dissertation is (hopefully) something you are fond of.  You have invested countless hours in developing a topic, doing the research, and fleshing out your arguments.  Yet, regardless of how much it can hurt, criticism is, for good or bad, an integral part of the dissertation work.  While it can be difficult to watch someone poke holes in your arguments or question your research, surviving your defense requires you to be open to all types of feedback.
Sometimes, the feedback will be gently given.  Other times, it will be quite harsh. The challenge for you, the dissertator, is to find a way to recover from the harsh criticism so you can keep moving ahead.  It is important to remember that *you* are not being critiqued.  It is not personal.  So, take the criticism and use it to write a better dissertation.
In the event that harsh criticism bogs you down, the following ideas may help:
1) Have a safety net - keep a close knit group of two or three friends that you can rely on to allow you to safely and comfortably vent your frustrations.
2) De-stress by spending some time with young children and/or pets.  Giving yourself time to play allows you to put the harsh criticism out of your head and takes you to a better place.
3) Do something relaxing and rewarding.  You can't relax and be upset at the same time.
And here's one more tip from a current reader: "Remember that how you deal with criticism is 100% your choice. You can be hurt, angry, upset, stressed, frightened- or you can try to find the good in it and keep moving forward. I'm not that good at this yet, but I keep practicing."
If you have any useful strategies for dealing with harsh critiques or a personal story about dealing with criticism, please send them and I will include them in a future email.
Until next time, best of luck.
--Rachna
Info on dissertation group coaching: http://bit.ly/lATRV5  





7.     Taking care of yourself during your dissertation process


Hope you are making progress.  In this issue of 365PhD, I'd like to take some time to talk - not about your dissertation - but about YOU.  In the whirlwind of research, writing, and editing (or the whirlwind of avoiding research, writing, and editing), it is possible to lose touch with the rest of your life.

As you endeavor to complete your dissertation, take the heart the following tips to balance your life with your writing:

(1) Respect important events.

This tip comes from my own experience. During my dissertation year, I was asked to be a bridesmaid in my friend Mary's wedding. We had met during my Master's programand had stayed in semi-close touch for a few years after. When I received  the  invitation,  I  felt  that  I  was  too busy  and  couldn't  possibly  take  time  away from my dissertation to be a bridesmaid and have some fun.  Mary never spoke to me again. Perhaps there were other reasons, but I suspect that they were relatedto my refusal to make room in my dissertation processfor her. In a year-longprocess, would taking a weekendoff have been such a big deal?Probably not. Hindsight is 20/20.


(2) Schedule a complete "day off" from the dissertation at least twice a month.

Breaks are important to keep your mind refreshed and your energy high.  You should allow yourself at least two days off each month.  Schedule these days off several weeks in advance and protect this time.  It's essential to the dissertation process.  As such, you should not feel guilty or like you are "slacking off."  Instead, have fun and don't even think about your dissertation!  Instead of worrying or fretting or pushing yourself, spend this day reconnecting with yourself,nature, or people you care for. You'll feel an amazing difference.
Hope this helped.

--Rachna

PS - Don't forget to send me your tips if you have them!
 

8.       Do you suffer from "Impostor Syndrome"?

It seems that many PhD students suffer from "Imposter Syndrome". For those of you who don't know, this term refers to someone who is "playing a role" and therefore believes that his/her success is due to "tricking" others. People with "Imposter Syndrome" can live in mortal dread of being "found out" or "uncovered".
What this most often means, in my experience, is that there is a BIG HUGE gap between the person's accomplishments and his/her own self view.
For example, do you know any other students that continually say that they feel that they are not as smart as other members of your PhD program?
Do you every feel this way, yourself?
<No, of course not.>
The truth is, I think we all must feel a bit of "imposter syndrome" every now and then. We sometimes "fake" that we know what we're doing, and we sometimes step out into a bigger game or a bigger world before we're quite ready. The difference, I think, comes from the knowledge that you can grow into the bigger shoes or bigger game or bigger space.
And, of course, the second step is in accepting that you have every right to be there-- because you are, indeed, who you say you are.
This week, where could you step out bigger and let the real you shine through?
Until next time,
--Rachna

20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879



9.     Dissertation Coaching FAQs

Since you've been on my list for just a few weeks, I wanted to give you a bit of information about dissertation coaching.

Most people don't know a lot about dissertation coaching, but I want to make sure you know of this resource in case you ever need it.


A dissertation coach focuses specifically on helping you set goals to complete the dissertation in a timely fashion.

A coach doesn't replace your advisor, or committee, but, instead, functions as a strategist, cheerleader, and support person to hold you accountable. 

Think of dissertation coaching like personal training for your Ph.D.


I've helped more than 400 ABD's attain their PhD's, most in a year or less. 

If you're interested in learning more about how dissertation coaching can help you, please review this page: 

Feel free to email me with any questions about what coaching is or how it works.

Working with a skilled dissertation coach can save you months- if not years- in your dissertation process. 

See you next time!
Rachna

20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879



10.   All our power is in this moment


Today I would like to share a simple thought with you: all our power is in this moment.
It is from this moment that you create your future. It is from this point- with your knowledge, strengths, "not quite right" pieces, relationships, and talents that you send up wishes, dreams, and hopes for the future.
Many of us put off joy and happiness- as we fall into patterns of thinking like, "I'll just work really hard- for now- and then take time off later, after I've made more money." Or "I don't have time to work on my relationships- there will be more time later."
How many things do you put off into the future? How much joy do you postpone?
I'll ask you to consider these questions over the next few weeks- and, if you'd like to share, I'd be glad to learn about your answers.
I am continually reminded that we all can accomplish our goals.  We just have to start.  In this moment.
--Rachna

Info on dissertation group coaching: http://bit.ly/lATRV5


20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879



11.  Dissertation Coaching FAQs


Since you've been on my list for just about three months, I wanted to give you a bit of information about dissertation coaching.

Most people don't know a lot about dissertation coaching, but I want to make sure you know of this resource in case you ever need it.


A dissertation coach focuses specifically on helping you set goals to complete the dissertation in a timely fashion.

A coach doesn't replace your advisor, or committee, but, instead, functions as a strategist, cheerleader, and support person to hold you accountable. 

Think of dissertation coaching like personal training for your Ph.D.


I've helped more than 400 ABD's attain their PhD's, most in a year or less. 

If you're interested in learning more about how dissertation coaching can help you, please review this page: 

Feel free to email me with any questions about what coaching is or how it works.

Working with a skilled dissertation coach can save you months- if not years- in your dissertation process. 

See you next time!
Rachna

20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879



12.   Eliminate distractions to increase productivity

Doesn't our world just seem full of distractions, Lobna?  Whenever I sit down to attempt to accomplish something, the phone rings or an email arrives or I realize a show I "really want to watch" is on.  Next think you know- I've spent two and a half hours watching a movie that I've already seen or I've dedicated an entire afternoon to surfing the internet for a new pair of shoes that I don't even need!
My suggestion- remove the distractions.
I know it's not easy, but it's necessary.  Unless you absolutely need the internet for your work, disable your connection.  Turn off your cell phone.  Don't turn the television on and hide the remote so that you will never be tempted to click it on "for a few minutes."
I have started cutting back on the number of times I check my email each day and it's made a HUGE difference in my productivity.
Instead of checking it 5-6x per day, I'm gradually cutting back to just 3x per day- once in the morning, once after lunch, and once at the end of the day. It's amazing how much more mind-space I have to actually produce new things. My creativity is coming back, as is my enthusiasm.
It is also helpful to work at a time when distractions are limited.  Use the quiet of the morning to focus all of your energies on your dissertation.  Enjoy the silence of the night while concentrating exclusively on your day's dissertation goals.
Establishing a ritual distraction removal and working at a distraction-free time readies your mind and body for work.  You become focused on the task at hand and, who knows, you may even complete it early and be able to spend the rest of your day indulging in distractions galore!
Good luck,
--Rachna



Want to finish your dissertation more quickly? Sign up for The Secrets of Dissertation Success, a self- guided dissertation coaching membership site.

You can learn more by visiting this page.
 


13.   Keep It Clean!



Hello, Lobna
As you work on your dissertation, Keep your work environment clean, pleasing, and free of distractions. It's really helpful to have extra room to work. Make it a habit to "clear out" your work space on a weekly or monthly basis- filing away articles or information you aren't actively using, shelving books, etc. This will keep your
mind clear and focused.

Sometimes, just cleaning out your space is enough to get you started working when you're stuck. 

Several studies have pointed out that too much visual clutter (like that which comes from piles of papers, books, and other information) can actually increase your stress level. Being surrounded with too much 'stuff' can leave you feeling unfocused and confused about what to do next. 

A good habit to cultivate is to regularly clean up your work area of any materials you aren't actively using. Try to adopt an organized approach from the beginning- it's much, much easier than trying to change part of the way through. If you've already started, then do what you can to be clutter-free from here.  

Don't forget to share your best tip with us!  I'll publish as many as possible! Thanks, and have a great day!

--Rachna


20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?TGwsnByMtCycbCwsjJyMtGa0jIxsbOxs


14. Don't Delay All Your Gratification


Planning to do the dissertation can sometimes be more fun than actually sitting down to work on it. When you feel this way, it's easy to procrastinate and avoid what you should be doing.
One of the main reasons people avoid anything is because the perceived rewards of completing the task are not greater than the perceived effort it would take to complete the task. Stated more simply: procrastination arises when you don't feel your effort will give you adequate rewards.
I just returned from a psychology continuing education program and in that program, the instructor talked about the idea that people who were able to delay gratification were shown to be more successful in life over time. The research was completed on children, but the results probably apply to adults, too.
After all, you've delayed gratification multiple times to get to this point, haven't you? And you've probably been reasonably successful until now. Something about the dissertation is different, though. It can be difficult to delay gratification one more time.
My solution? Don't delay ALL your gratification. It sounds simple, but it works. Build in rewards for your dissertation progress, and tie these, directly, to your goal achievements within the project. You finished writing a section? Go out to lunch with a friend. You finished writing a chapter? Take the weekend off. You broke through a difficult transition and found an elegant solution to the problem? Call a friend and get some praise.
We are social animals, and one of the most important keys to our happiness is our relationships. Use your relationships/relationship activities as ways to reward your dissertation progress. You'll have more fun, and will finish faster, too.
Best,
--Rachna 
 


20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879



15.   Select a Manageable Topic


Your dissertation is an incredible endeavor and so you must make sure your topic is manageable. 

It's common, initially, for graduate students to select complex designs, intensive research requirements, and all encompassing topics for study. 

If you want to finish quickly, though, you need to pick a topic which you can complete quickly. Design a study which will allow you to collect data quickly, or a topic in which something has been written that you can build on. 

These are small adjustments which can, literally, take months or years off your dissertation process. 

If you are working on pulling together a topic, be sure to pick a manageable one.

See you next time,
--Rachna 


20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879




16. Top 10 Lies Told By Graduate Students


Well, we're back again with another PhD365 tip!  Hope you're feeling great and having a terrific week!

Well, before I share today's tip, I have to tell you this joke I heard. You might have heard it before, but I hadn't- and I think it's pretty funny. Some words have been disguised to avoid triggering spam filters.

The Top Ten Lies Told by Graduate Students 
    -- taken from the Harvard Crimson

10. It doesn't bother me at all that my college roommate is making $80,000 a year on Wall Street.
9. I'd be delighted to proofread your book/ chapter/article.
8. My work has a lot of practical importance.
7. I would never date an undergraduate.
6. Your latest article was so inspiring.
5. I turned down a lot of great job offers to come here.
4. I just have one more book to read and then I'll start writing.
3. The department is giving me so much support.
2. My job prospects look really good.
1. No really, I'll be out of here in only two more years.

Excerpted from:

Okay, now onto the real meat of this message!

Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Many of my clients feel that they MUST do everything related to their dissertation without help. Even if they hate it. Or maybe ESPECIALLY if they hate it.  I'm suggesting that there is a better way. Get help for all the tasks you don't like or aren't
particularly good at. There are many resources for you to select from- coaches to help you set goals or make progress, editors to review your writing, statisticians to
help you with the calculations, office assistants you can hire to help with data entry. 

The main point is to keep moving forward, by whatever means needed.  There are no extra points for doing all the work by yourself if you don't want to. 

If you let go of having to do everything yourself, what would you most want to get help with? 

Now, seek out that help- today. 

Talk to you again soon!

--Rachna 


20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879




17.   Get it Written Then Get it Right



The actual "writing of the dissertation" is rarely as fun as the "planning to write" phase of the dissertation.
One way to make the dissertation writing easier is to focus, first, on getting it written- and then, later, focus on getting it right. This doesn't mean you write anything you know to be incorrect (obviously) but it does mean that you worry about things like proper grammar, punctuation, and of course, correct APA style (the mere mention of which gives me the creeps!) after you've written about your main themes and supporting information.
If you can get your ideas out in reasonable coherence, there will be time for refining later. You've probably heard me say this before, but the best dissertation is a written dissertation.
Get it right after it's written; until it's written it will never be right.
See you again soon! 
--Rachna 
 


20203 Goshen Road #374
Gaithersburg, MD 20879


1 comment:

  1. What amazing information, thank you so much for taking the time to share a wonderful post. Looking for a professional dissertation writer offering the best Dissertation Finishing Help to students worldwide? Visit: Dissertation Finishing Help

    ReplyDelete